I GOT A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, that explains why I haven’t posted all day.

…wait, it doesn’t? I’ll elaborate:

I was awakened this morning at 11:16 am by my cell phone ringing. I didn’t recognize the number. Leaping out of bed, I forced myself as much into awake-mode as possible–this is something I’m usually able to pull off, although when it happens with friends I generally let the facade slip about halfway through the conversation, prompting a “Did I wake you up?”

This time, I was determined not to sound like an unemployed loser who’d been planning to sleep past noon…for this time, a potential employer was on the other end.

“This is so-and-so with X Corporation. We received your resume this morning.”

“Yes,” I said. (Maybe the facade isn’t as good as I think it is.)

“I was hoping to get together and talk.”

“Sure! Great!” By this time I was finally in the office. I always head straight to the office when I get an Important Call. I sat down in my lovely Aeron chair, and was suddenly able to think straight. “I’m free any day this week except Thursday.”

“It’s really up to you,” he said. “I’m here all week.”

“How about today, then? I can be there in a couple of hours.”

The rest of the conversation involved how to get to the place, and what his name was (I’d not caught it properly during the forcing-myself-awake phase). Then we hung up and I practically leapt into the shower, forgetting my normal routine of Potty, Scale, and Pills. (I took my medicine after the shower, and decided not to weigh myself today.)

I took some time collecting samples and reviewing what the job was, so I could hopefully demonstrate that I was the right choice. I also fussed about what to wear, finally opting for the same outfit I’ve worn to all my other job interviews lately. (Brooke knows which one I’m talking about…)

Then I did my makeup, put on some earrings and slid a clip into my hair, grabbed my huge briefcase (or, as Brooke calls it, my “luggage”), and headed out. I was taking along some hard copy samples of flyers and such from 2go-Box, plus the laptop with screenshots of various web designs.

X Corporation is located in Lincolnton, Georgia. Basically I drive northwest on Washington Road for about 40 minutes, and then I’m there. The drive is really nice–beautiful trees all around, and those old-timey convenience stores you often see in rural areas. Plus, towards the end, I got to drive right over Clarks Hill Lake (also known as Strom Thurmond Lake). The road meanders along, a thin strip bisecting the lake, until finally you’re shunted through a big beautiful green bridge.


(Okay, this is cheating. I actually took this picture on my way home. But you get the idea.)

Seeing all that water was really energizing. I was beaming from ear to ear as I continued on to Lincolnton.

The place was really easy to find. I gathered up my stuff, turned off my phone (which apparently couldn’t find a signal anyway), fixed my hair (with no air conditioning, I have to drive with the windows rolled down), and headed inside.

After a brief uncomfortable moment in which I stood in the lobby staring through a window into an office area while no one helped me, a young (well, older than me, by maybe five years, but still young) man burst out of one of the offices, glanced at me, and said, “How you doin’?”

“Good,” I said.

“Are you waiting for me?”

“Are you So-and-So?”

“Yup! Just hold on one minute.”

And so I did.

Presently I was ushered into So-and-So’s office and invited to sit on a brown leather loveseat. So-and-So slouched back into his desk chair and we started talking about the job.

It was strikingly similar to having a conversation with my old boss, Robert. He was very enthusiastic about what he wanted to do and made the company’s needs clear. I asked implementation questions and made suggestions and basically got a good idea about how it was all supposed to work. Yes, I could do this. It would be fun!

The interview had never seemed like a normal interview–that is, I never felt like I was being grilled. If anything, it felt as if I were interviewing them. (I’ve heard that this is a good strategy for interviews, actually.) But at a certain point, I realized we’d moved past anything remotely resembling an interview, and we were now at the point where I was ready to get started on the project. He realized this too, because not long after that he said, “I guess it’s time to talk about money.”

I stated that I wanted to be fair, that I was basically entry-level despite my abilities, and that I wouldn’t claim to have ten years of experience when I really didn’t. Then I named a figure, and he agreed to it.

I think my figure was pretty reasonable. In all, I feel that we both made off well with that figure. I know I could scarcely have hoped to make that kind of money at any other job…

“When can I start?” I asked.

“Whenever you want.”

“How about tomorrow?”

And so it was settled. Then it was just a matter of logistics. “I’ll need Photoshop,” I said.

“I’ll buy whatever you need,” he replied (which was amazingly thrilling, I must say). I asked to see my workstation, and he led me out to one of the cubicles I’d seen earlier from the lobby. He told me I could have my pick of two of them.

“Are the computers the same?”

“No, actually, that one’s much better.”

“I’ll take that one, then.”

He had to get the monitor for me; it was plugged into the server. Then he logged me in and I took a look around at all the software. As we’d suspected, the previous user, a web designer who hadn’t quite worked out, had installed plenty of software but not registered any of it. I cleaned out everything I wasn’t going to need, then made a list of what I did (which for now is just SmartFTP and Photoshop). I also made myself a list of things to bring in tomorrow.

Once the software issue was squared away, I asked him about cameras. He said they had two, and I’ll get to look at them tomorrow to see if they’ll work for me. If they don’t, he said he’d buy whatever camera I think would be best. I might also just use my own.

After that, I told everyone that I’d see them in the morning, and took my leave.

I managed to restrain myself until I’d pulled out of the driveway, but then I screamed, loud and incoherently. I spent most of the drive back alternately laughing and crying, and haphazardly snapping pictures (of which that bridge one above is the only one worth sharing). Then, inexplicably, I drove to my in-laws’ house, let myself in, called everybody, and played with their Pomeranians until they got home. (I then stayed for dinner, and watched House with them in a state of euphoria.)

I have a job.

I have a good job.

I have a job that pays good money.

I am really looking forward to getting started.

And it all happened within a matter of sixteen hours–I applied for the job at midnight, was called at 11, and had interviewed, been hired, and had my desk set up by 4.

It’s totally surreal.

Not to mention awesome.

I think I’m really going to enjoy this.