Breast exam and vaginal exam checked out fine. Pap smear results will be available in three weeks.
The blood test is the important part. It will (presumably) tell us why I was bleeding. The doctor gave us these possibilities:
- My ovaries are working again, which would mean that I can conceive.
- I am menopausal; the bleeding would therefore be simply a buildup of uteran lining that finally broke loose.
- I was bleeding for another reason, which would be more sinister than the first two. This is, fortunately, the most unlikely scenario.
If I am menopausal, then there are two things that I must watch out for:
- I will need an ultrasound to determine whether or not my uteran wall is too thick. If it is, there will need to be a biopsy, and I will need to take progesterone to keep the lining from building up.
- I will need to have my bones checked to ensure that I don’t have osteoporosis, and if I do I will need to take medication.
After the appointment, I got my hair chopped off to just beneath shoulder level, and donated the long remaining portion to Locks of Love.